The Plumbing Academy
Background to the project
The Plumbing Academy provided City and Guilds approved plumbing training courses to career changers throughout the UK. This included a growing network of graduate plumbers that they wanted to place within plumbing and heating companies. Equally, since the Plumbing Academy catered both for new entrants to the profession and existing plumbers that want to increase skills, it was highly recommended by the trade.
The Plumbing Academy had insufficient internal resources to undertake its own outbound telemarketing campaign. It therefore contacted a number of telemarketing suppliers and selected GSA Business Development from its shortlist.
GSA ran an initial strategy session with senior members from the Plumbing Academy Team and identified the core offer to its target audience and how it delivers apprenticeships.
As an output from this session, GSA undertook the following:
- Secured a targeted calling list for the activity
- Ran an intensive briefing process with the telemarketers making the calls and The Plumbing Academy senior team who also briefed our team directly
- Developed a tailored approach to the calls including an unscripted call structure
- Set targets for the activity
- Set up reporting and weekly teleconference feedback sessions
- Working to an agreed budget, The Plumbing Academy opted for an initial trial of 8.5 days telemarketing within one month.
There were a number of key objectives for the telemarketing trial:
- To grow apprenticeship provision
- To identify and target plumbing providers for provision of new apprentices under the scheme
- To identify and target plumbing providers that have a junior plumber on their books or have one in mind that could qualify to be an apprentice under the scheme
- Raise awareness of the excellent facilities it has available for all skill based training within the profession including plumbing, gas and electrical training.
Reporting / Feedback
GSA provided The Plumbing Academy with full transparent reporting every week of the campaign. We also provided recorded calls for each positive outcome.
Reports included full notes from every call made and statistics including call ratios and level of decision-maker conversations as well as data for all new contacts added.
We also conducted regular teleconference reviews with the telemarketers and management from The Plumbing Academy. This enabled consistent and early feedback from both sides incorporating any new information for a change of focus as required.
Our target for initial trial was 8 appointments to discuss apprenticeships. However, by the end of the trial GSA achieved 36 qualified appointments.
The trial was extended over 140 appointments were generated. Several apprentices were signed up at time of writing with many more in the pipeline.
Additional revenue for other courses provided by The Plumbing Academy has also been generated as a result of the calls.
Heather Dixon of The Plumbing Academy commented:
“GSA has assisted with generating leads for our company with some great results. They are very focussed with excellent feedback and great information about each potential client”